The names of the creators of a Mid-Atlantic Religious School are being removed due to their enslaving practices. Over a half-million dollars have been accumulated to be given to people according to their bloodline.
Virginia Theological Seminary in Alexandria has been educating future ministers for over a century. Formerly the Protestant Episcopal Theological Seminary in Virginia, it counts among its establishers “The Star-Spangled Banner” by composer Francis Scott Key. In other foundational history, several key figures were slave owners. The college aches to erase those elements of less-than-lauded legacy; therefore, it’s re-christening the following six structures:
- Madison Hall
- Johns Hall
- Meade Hall
- Sparrow Hall
- Moore Hall
- Wilmer Hall
Ian S. Markham is abandoning the “old art” to “honor others”.
We have less interest in honoring individual people and are more focused on themes. We recognize our connection to Canterbury (Canterbury Hall) and our proximity to the Potomac River.
The College Fix published an article written by Ian:
Some buildings were named after people who had a significant association with slavery. VTS wanted to address the legacy and racism of slavery.
CNN gave an update two years later.
From 1823-1951 Blacks were required to work in a wide range of jobs, including cooking, farming, and dishwashers.
In 1950, it is not clear how the workers were “forced” to work.
The university has set aside $1.7 million to compensate descendants of slaves who worked on campus.
Linda Johnson Thomas, 65, was among the lucky recipients.
Her grandfather worked as a janitor at the Virginia Theological Seminary. He began as a farmer and worked his way up to becoming a head janitor.
She didn’t know that he had to work at the school for two years.
Linda, her sisters, and their descendants were the first beneficiaries of VTS’s plan to give $2,100 per annum to descendants of deceased VTS employees.
Family members can use the cafeteria, computer lab, and coffee shop at no cost.
In summary, those who are not connected to the school receive checks, while those who founded the school are Xed. The third bishop of Virginia was Bishop William Meade. It looks like these distinctions no longer matter.
Francis Scott Key’s name, which was also that of a slave owner, has been scraped from the monument. In 2019, it will be replaced by “Bicentennial Hall”.
People who can fight for justice will have the power to change history.