FDA Approves Abortion Pill Distribution at Pharmacies

0
222

CNN reports the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved certified pharmacies for abortion medication distribution to individuals who have a prescription.

According to the FDA’s website, medical abortion can be caused when two pills are taken together, misoprostol and mifepristone.

“Mifepristone, when used together with another medicine called misoprostol, is used to end a pregnancy through ten weeks gestation,” the website reads.

These drugs were only available to be prescribed and ordered by certified healthcare providers prior to COVID-19. However, the FDA temporarily approved the drug mifepristone to be acquired by mail without permission/prescription from a clinic or hospital under public health orders. This rule change is now permanent.

The FDA website has information about how drugs can be used to induce abortion. The FDA website advises users that they seek medical attention within seven to 14 days after taking the drug.

Danco Laboratories is proud to announce the policy changes via its website.

Danco Laboratories are happy to announce that FDA approved modifications to Mifepristone REMS Program Program on January 3, 2023.

Danco Laboratories requires applicants to complete an online application to become a licensed prescriber or provider of the medication.

According to the pharmaceutical company, “At a time when many people are struggling to access abortion care services across the country, this modification is critical for expanding access to medication-abortion service.” ”

“This will give healthcare providers an extra way to provide their patients a safe and effective option to terminate early pregnancy. Danco’s work with Mifeprex providers and the wider reproductive rights community has been ongoing for more than 20 years.

Mifeprex was approved by the FDA in September 2000 for abortion. Danco Laboratories reports the product has been used by more than 4 million women in the US since its approval.

The pill blocks the production of progesterone. According to the manufacturer, the “uterus weakens and is broken down, and bleeding begins”.

There is a 3% chance of women needing surgery to stop pregnancy, heavy bleeding, or complete expulsion. The drug’s success rate is 97%.

The company issued a press release warning that severe and sometimes fatal bleeding could occur after spontaneous, surgical, and medical abortions. Mifeprex is included in this warning.

The U.S. Justice Department has cleared the matter. The U.S. Justice Department has stopped the Postal Service from sending abortion medication by mail. It found that the Comstock Act which prohibits the distribution and trading of obscene literature and other immoral articles was not violated.