D. Stephen Long, an influential author on relativism and the problem of truth-telling in a post-truth age, is a key figure.
Relativism is only one aspect of the problem. It is a substitution of absolutes, an assumed truth replacing the true truth, replacing objective facts with a new paradigm for subterfuge and casuistry. This book is an essential work in vaccine science, myth, and myth. It details how the COVID pandemic was managed, both ineffectively and dishonestly.
A climate of fraud has become a common feature of all walks of life. This is why “illegality is so prevalent and widespread. This means that lying has been given the legal authority to be law.
The “People of the Lie,” in psychiatrist M. Scott Peck’s telling phrase, are now everywhere to be found, inhabiting what we might call the “moral infrastructure” of our era. They comprise not only the elite or parasite class in the corridors of both elected and non-elected officialdom, the federal agencies, the administrative bureaucracies, the corporate world, academia, the medical and pseudo-scientific professions, the suborned media, the diverse nonprofits and aspiring Technates like the World Economic Forum, the radical feminist sorority, “Global Warming” propagandists, much of the judiciary that labors to pervert and annul prosecutorial ethics and legal obligations in our courts, but also the vast body of ordinary citizens whose lives and everyday practices have been infected by the virus of the Lie.
We can use this to divide our ubiquitous society liars into 3 categories.
- The credulous and misinformed who guilelessly or foolishly believe that the (political or medical) Lie they accept is not a lie.
- The insecure and apprehensive feel they must believe the Lie they have assimilated because they cannot tolerate the truth — for example, that an eagerly taken cure may have adverse consequences, putting them at risk. Disturbing recognitions need to be resisted.
- Those in positions of authority who do not believe the Lie but know they must act as if it were true for reasons of “party loyalty,” self-preservation, self-promotion, mere profit, or their hold on power. It is a strange paradox. They know they are lying, and yet lying has become endemic to their very being, almost as if they believe what they do not believe, a psychic Mobius strip that Dostoevsky in The Idiot famously called the “double thought.”
These are the two most improbable categories. If they live in a world that is not the Lie, they will feel a crippling sense of emptiness and anomie. Their psychological bubble will be filled with fear, self-alienation, and complete confusion.
They would be totally lost if they were stripped of the Lie that made them work and prosper.
- Russia blew up its own pipeline.
- Vaccine hesitancy is the cause of the profusion of adverse events and post-vaccine deaths; that is, anxiety caused by anti-vaxxers is the source of harm and not the shots themselves.
- The 2020 presidential election was problem-free and secure.
- COVID-19 relapses would have been far worse minus double jabs and several boosters — the Clinton Protocol. (The first and second categories of liars may believe, or struggle to believe, this canard. The third category does not, knowing it to be false but necessary to maintain the fiction they propagate.)
- The January 6 “riot” at the Capitol was an “insurrection.”
- There are more than two genders.
- Twitter, pre-Musk, was a bastion of free speech. Now that it is open, it is a source of disinformation.
So it goes. They are required to “rewrite history” as well as “reinvent language.”
The remit of the new totalitarians, Dreher continues, precisely as George Orwell, Hannah Arendt and Alexandr Solzhenitsyn warned, is “nothing less than defining and controlling reality.” Should they be exposed, they would cease to exist both as public figures and intact personalities. Whether or not they are “evil,” as M. Scott Peck asserts, “sacrificing others to preserve their self-image,” there is no doubt that they are despicable as well as completely risible in the absurdities they traffic for all the power they wield and the devastations they justify.
They can’t reach them, despite all the rational discourse and countervailing evidence.
This realization will decrease the energy spent trying to reason about nomenklatura. Residents may experience psychic petrifaction and a deep reluctance to break the stone. Frederick Douglass strongly recommended that we engage in the process.
This is because we live in a culture that lies. It is hard to predict what the final result will be.